Data Analysis/Machine Learning: Python (SciPy, Pandas, Matplotlib, NumPy, SymPy, Uncertainties, Scikit-learn, ReportLab, Weave, Re(gEx)), C/C++, Matlab , LaTeX
Computer Vision/Digital Signal Processing: Python (OpenCV, PIL, SciPy, NumPy, Matplotlib, Weave), C/C++
Network Programming: Python (socket, serial, struct, threading, pycrypto), C (sys/socket), bash/csh (traceroute, netstat, ifconfig, tcpdump, telnet), wireshark
Embedded Software/FPGA: Arduino Nano, Uno, Mega (Atmel ATmega 168, 328, 560 sub-families); Teensy 3.2, 3.5, 3.6 (Freescale K20, K64, K66 sub-families), Xilinx Spartan 6
Control Systems/Automation: P and PI, linear (stepper motor), non-linear (high speed optical system), multi-input (multiple motor encoders and current sensors)
Systems Programming/GUI Development: Labwindows, LabVIEW, Python (PyQt4/5, Tkinter, py2exe, cx_freeze)
Communication: UDP and TCP/IP, DHCP, HTTP(S), SSH, SSL, TLS, (S)FTP, Bluetooth/BLE, WiFi, RS232/422/485, UART, I2C, SPI, GPIO, line coding (manchester, XbYb), FEC (Hamming, Reed-Solomon), CRC/BIP4/BIP8, cryptography (SHA, HMAC, RSA, AES)
Software Source Control: Git/GitHub, Sourcetree (bitbucket), Stash (admin for multi-contributer projects)
Operating Systems: Windows XP/7/8/10, Mac OSX, Linux (Ubuntu, Solaris), Raspian
Lab and Test Equipment: Oscilloscope, RF network and spectrum analyzer, power meter, multimeter, signal generator, optical spectrum analyzer, photoreceiver, amplifiers, soldering station, crimper
Machine Shop Equipment: Mill with or without CNC, calipers, laser etcher, lathe, sander, dremel, bandsaw
Rapid Prototyping: 3D Printing (SLS, SLA, FDM/FFF), modifications (milling, grinding, sanding)
Electronic Design/Simulation/Layout/Development: Spice, EagleCAD, PCB123, OrCAD, PADs, KiCAD
Optical Systems: Optiwave OptiSystem, Python (SciPy, Numpy, Matplotlib), optical breadboard prototyping, optical system troubleshooting, fiber optic and free space beam characterization, laser safety
Systems Engineer, Private Sector Space and Defense Contractor (September 1 2014 - Present)
- Testing and integration of:
- Large bandwidth laser communications systems.
- Ultra sensitive fiber optic sensors.
- High powered laser systems.
- Super continuum imaging systems.
- RF communication, detection and deception systems.
- Head mounted displays for commercial and military pilots.
- Developing control software for infrared fiber optic sensors.
- Create Python scripts for analyzing large quantities of data.
- Test procedure development and automation for precision optical components.
- Mechanical, optical and electrical assembly and validation of systems delivered to customers.
- Conducting cutting edge research for sensitive defense programs.
- Researching and purchasing necessary equipment and tooling.
- Report and proposal writing.
- Giving demonstrations of our equipment to customers and military personnel.
Student Fellow, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (July 1 2014 - August 31 2014)
- Assembled Ultra-High Vacuum (UHV) chamber, associated sample preparation chambers, and Spin-Angle Resolved
Photoemission Spectroscopy detectors.
- Installed and configured actuators and manipulator for coarse and fine control of x, y, z, azimuthal and
- Setup associated electronics (power supplies, temperature/pressure monitors, PC etc.) and organized equipment
Research Assistant, University of California, Santa Cruz (Fall 2012 - Summer 2014)
- Worked closely with Dr. Gey-Hong Gweon on a complete analysis of the novel material of topological insulators (TIs)
using a new extremely correlated Fermi-Liquid theory.
- My analysis (using C and Python) showed the lowest electron-phonon coupling constant ever recorded in any material,
indicating robust surface states in TIs.
- Conducted this research at Stanford's Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (SSRL). Learned how to operate highly complex
optical and electrical systems to obtain our results, as well as UHV techniques and sample preparation.
- See all my analysis and results in my senior thesis.
Materials Science Researcher, University of California, Santa Barbara (Summer 2013)
- Worked under the 2014 physics Nobel laureate Dr. Shuji Nakamura studying the crystal growth parameters effect on the
efficiency of Gallium Nitride devices.
- Specifically, we investigated how substrate growth plane causes polarization of the electronic band structure and the
consequential necessity of electron and hole blocking layers. These studies were published in the NNIN Research
Accomplishments and Applied Physics Express.
- Techniques/skills acquired included: Clean room procedures, photolithography, annealing,
electron beam deposition, Atomic Force Microscopy, and HF wet bench.
Learning Assistant and Tutor, UCSC Leraning Support Services (Fall 2011 - Spring 2014)
- I have been a Modified Supplemental Instruction (MSI) Learning Assistant and tutor for introductory and advanced
physics and math courses at UC Santa Cruz.
- Developed a huge database of practice and review materials on my website for current and future UC Santa Cruz students.
BS, Physics with Highest Honors, University of California, Santa Cruz. June 2014.
Associates Degree, Network Programming, De Anza Community College. Expected Spring 2018.
Certificate of Achievement, Professional Enterprise Security, De Anza Community College. Expected Fall 2018.
Certificate of Achievement, Network Administration, De Anza Community College. Expected Spring 2019.